Contact us

We're here to help, so call us anytime. Our trained social workers will listen to your worries about a child or young person and point you in the right direction - this might be referring your concerns onto our sites so, or putting you in touch with others who can help.

Concerns about a child or young person

If you think a child is in immediate danger – phone the Police on 111.

If you suspect child abuse or neglect, or are worried about a child or young person, you can call our freephone number 24 hours a day, any day of the year, and talk to one of our social workers. They will determine the urgency of the concern, whether we need to do anything further, or if the child or young person's needs could be better met by another agency. You can also send a notification to us by fax or email.

This number is also the best one to call if you are thinking about becoming a caregiver or if you seek information about adoptions.

Enquiries from schools:

Our locations

The physical location of Child Youth and Family sites around the country.

Caregiver line

If you are a caregiver and you want support or assistance, call your social worker, or call this 24 hour number: 0508 CARERS (0508 227 377).

Media enquiries

Media can email the Ministry of Social Development media team or give them a call on 04 916 3496.

Personal information requests

If you would like to request personal information held by Child, Youth and Family call 0508 FAMILY and ask for Privacy and Official Information Services.

General enquiries

For any other general enquiries, email us at

Vacancy enquiries

Check out our current vacancies or email us at

Your feedback - complaints and compliments

If you're not happy with the service you have received, we want to know about it so we can put it right for you and ultimately improve our service. Visit our service commitment page for more information about the complaints process, including how to make a complaint.

To tell us about something we’ve done well or make a suggestion, you can ring us free on 0508 FAMILY (0508 326 459), contact your local office or email

Child Youth and Family complaint process

If you have contacted the local office and the problem can't be sorted straight away you can make a formal complaint to Child Youth and Family.

Contact Child Youth and Family

If you are not satisfied after making a formal complaint you can ask for a review by the Chief Executive of the Ministry of Social Development. Read more about the Chief Executives review

Claims relating to incidences of abuse or neglect that occurred before 1 January 1993 are resolved by the Historic Claims Team, while claims relating to the period between 1 January 1993 and 31 December 2007 are resolved by the Contemporary Claims Team.

The Contemporary Claims team was established from 1 July 2014.

Complaints about incidents that occurred after 31 December 2007 are addressed following Child, Youth and Family’s Complaints Resolution Policy.

A contemporary claim can be made by any person who was in the care, custody, guardianship, or came to the notice of Child, Youth and Family (or its predecessor the Department of Social Welfare) between 1993 and 2007.

Historic Claims Team

If you have been maltreated or neglected while in the care of Child, Youth and Family, the Department of Social Welfare, or Child Welfare; the Ministry of Social Development wants to work with you to find resolution.

The Historic Claims Team will discuss your complaint or claim with you, explain your options, and how we can help.

Read more about the Historic Claims Team