Our Service Commitment

At Child, Youth and Family we want to work with you to help protect, support and care for your children. Together we can help our children be safe, strong and thrive.

Our promise to you

We are committed to providing excellent service for families, the children and young people that we work with.

We will...

  • be courteous and professional
  • work with family and whānau to make decisions in the best interests of the child or young person
  • communicate with you clearly
  • respond to you quickly
  • encourage you to bring support people when we meet with you, as long as this is safe for everyone
  • respect your privacy
  • connect you with people who can help if we aren't able to
  • always try to answer your questions. If we can't give you the information you want, we will always explain why.

To tell us about something good we've done or make a suggestion, you can ring us free on 0508 FAMILY (0508 326 459), contact your local office or email webinfo@cyf.govt.nz

How to make a complaint

If you're not happy with the service you have received, we'd like to know about it so we can put it right for you and learn from it.

The easiest way to sort out a problem is usually to contact your local office. Either talk to the person you've been dealing with or ask for the manager.

If we can't sort out the problem straight away you can make a formal complaint by:

  • calling us free on 0508 FAMILY (0508 326 459)
  • filling in a complaint form, available from your local Child, Youth and Family office, or by downloading one from the link below
  • emailing us at complaints@cyf.govt.nz
  • faxing us on (04) 916 0222.

We'll contact you within one week of receiving your complaint to talk with you about how we'll manage it. We try to resolve any formal complaint within six weeks of receiving it - if it will take longer, we'll let you know.

There are some issues we may not be able to help with, such as decisions made by the court - we'll let you know if this is the case.

If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your formal complaint

You can ask for a review by the Chief Executive of the Ministry of Social Development's Advisory Panel. To apply for a review, you can write to:

National Manager
Review Secretariat
Ministry of Social Development
PO Box 1556
Wellington 6140.

More information about the Chief Executive's Advisory Panel can be found on the Ministry of Social Development's website by following the link below.

If you're not satisfied with the outcome of the Chief Executive's review

There are other organisations outside of the Ministry of Social Development you can choose to contact, such as:

Social Workers Registration Board
Ph: (04) 931 2650

Office of the Children's Commissioner
Ph: (04) 471 1410

Office of the Ombudsmen
Call: 0800 802 602